Thursday, August 7, 2014

Playing with Lace

I tend to write out designs that never get made or see the light of day...

On a whim I decided to sign up for a one on one dishcloth swap on Ravelry.  I had planned on sending my partner one of my multitude of already finished cloths, but when she told me her family had allergies I knew I had to buy new yarn, make a new cloth and keep the kitties out of my lap while I made it.  This time I chose 'Creme de la Creme' by Coats.  I've never used it before, but I will use it again.  It's very tightly spun and has way better stitch definition than 'Peaches 'n Cream' or 'Sugar 'n Cream'.  The colors are very crisp and non-muddy.  It knits up a nice firm cloth.

I went hunting through all my notes and patterns in search of something different, when I discovered this doodle page... I had wanted to make an easy to memorize lace pattern (which is what this blog is all about after all!!) that could be made into a small scarf or cowl.  I decided to test knit my design onto a dishcloth for the swap.... On paper it reminded me of snow, made up, it looks more like trees.




So far, I'm liking the rhythm of the design and the look of it.  We'll see how it blocks out and it I take it to the next step and turn it into a real pattern.  So far it's a 'good knit in public' pattern, easy to memorize and keep track of.... Caveat is there is plenty of purling rows.  Even that top garter edge is purled (but it had to be for continuity of design).



This finished (unblocked) cloth looks very much like a watermelon to me.  Very summery and happy.  I like it!


I decided to actually wet block it with wires and pins instead of just laying it out on a towel and patting it a bit like I usually do for gift cloths.  It really defines the lace nicely.
Truth is that I rarely block dishcloths.  I normally just weave the ends in and that's good enough, but I really wanted to see how this pattern looked opened up.


No comments:

Post a Comment