Sunday, May 25, 2014

Co-knitting in church

My daughter was home from college and she took up knitting with me at church today.

I normally like to have at least 3 rows completed on any project I plan to knit during the service.  It makes it less distracting if I already have a foundation and pattern started and I don't have to mess with casting on or counting.  This was not the case today so I had to quickly cast something on and start it before the service started.  My fault for lack of preparation.  It's a good thing I have so many small patterns stuck in my head and can get one on the needles quickly.

I was sort of surprised that my daughter wanted to join me in this activity.  We had a truly peaceful time sitting and knitting and enjoying each other this morning.  I think she's hooked on it now.

Today's knitting for me was The Almost Lost Washcloth, which is a very simple and lovely pattern I have made several times in the past.  I got a good start on mine but didn't get very far today.

This pattern works up a very nice, round cloth, garter stitched short rows with no wrapping.  It's easy to memorize and keep track of but there is a fair amount of turning involved.  Even then, I consider this pattern to be quite portable.  I don't know if I would knit this pattern again at church, but it is a great pattern for other kinds of public knitting like the bus or a waiting room.  The finished cloth is very cute... Everyone I've given them to has loved them.



My daughter worked on and FINISHED her little seed stitch cloth she brought in her bag... very cute.  No pattern required, she just cast on 25 and worked it until it was square.  Perfect for church knitting.  It can be worked without even looking down.  I'm not sure anyone even realized she was knitting.


We had an interesting conversation on the way home about knitting in Victorian times.  It was considered quite a refined art and part of a well-bred lady's skills. In that era, most of the upper class ladies were knitting and carried their knitting with them to social gatherings and sat and knit in groups with their family members and friends.  So, I have no guilt at all in striving to bring this beautiful tradition back.

Tonight I started a sample of a lace cloth that I plan on finishing while we have a girls movie night and the boys are out sitting around the bonfire in the yard. 
Happy Memorial day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment